Choosing The Right General Commercial Contractor:
4 Things To Keep In Mind
Are you looking to hire a general commercial contractor?
Take your time and RESEARCH. Congrats on taking the first step in your exploration process.
Avoid simply hiring the construction company that proposes the lowest bid. At first, it may seem like you’re saving money. Still, you could end up paying big time for your decision because inexperienced contractors can jeopardize your project by making critical mistakes, communicating poorly, or taking much longer than initially expected.
You’ll spend a lot of time working with your commercial contractor, so choose one you enjoy working with.
Use these tips to help you find your perfect commercial construction fit!
DEFINE YOUR GOALS
Before you hire a commercial contractor, define your project goals by knowing your:
- Project budget
- Desired schedule
- Overall priorities and goals for your build or renovation?
- Services you expect your commercial contractor to provide? (Depending on the scope of your project, a commercial construction company may oversee various stages of construction. These may include design, permitting, building codes, zoning regulations, supply purchases, and more. Contractors have varying degrees of expertise in these areas, so keep these factors in mind.)
Have a well-defined plan in place to help set your project up for success from the very beginning.
Reputable commercial contractors will gladly provide you with references from companies they have worked with before. These references matter, so make sure that they include details about:
- How well the contractor communicated throughout the project.
- Whether the project was completed on time and within the agreed-upon budget.
- The level of supervision on the worksite.
- Whether or not the company would recommend the commercial contractor.
Pro tip: you can also research general commercial contractors near you via Better Business Bureau, local and national construction associations, your local Chamber of Commerce, and online customer reviews.
The commercial contractor you choose for your project will become your new business partner, and you’ll be spending a lot of time together. That’s why you must be compatible with one another. To determine if you’ll work well together, ask prospective commercial contractors about their:
- Company mission and values
- Company culture
- Payment expectations
- Proposed timelines
The right contractor for your project should effectively communicate with you and put your mind at ease.
It takes years in the field to learn how to manage a large construction project effectively. Because of this, you should hire a commercial contractor with a wealth of experience.
BSM Construction is a general commercial contractor servicing California, Nevada, Arizona, Washington, Oregon, Texas, Montana, Colorado, Idaho, and New Mexico.
Our repeat clients are Real Estate Brokers, Property Owners, and Managers, Grocery Store Owners and Tenants.